SCT-ISLEOFMULL-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ISLEOFMULL > 2007-08 > 1187835415

From: Kate Price <>
Subject: [SCT-ISLEOFMULL] McIntyres Passenger List Found
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 22:16:55 -0400 (EDT)

Hello everyone. It's been quite a while since I've been in touch ... but pleased to share with you that this weekend, while referencing material at the National Archives in Ottawa, I have finally found ... after a 25-year search ... records of a passenger list verifying the 1928 voyage from Scotland to North America, of the Nicol McIntyre=Mary McCallum family of Ardalanish.

The "Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York, 1820-1829. From Customs Passenger Lists. Transcribed by Elizaberth P. Bentley, 1999", clearly notes that Flora, Catherine, Elizabeth, Archibald and Dougald McIntyre, children of Nicol McIntyre and Mary McCallum, sailed from Grennock on the Belmont, captained by Edward Paul, arriving at the Port of New York on August 30, 1828.

These records indicate their intention was to reside in the United States. However it's known that in actual fact, by 1834, they were living in Canada, specifically in the Whitevale area of Ontario.

Although Nicol, Mary and 2 other daughters, Ann and Rachel are not noted on these passenger lists, history records that Mary did indeed give birth to yet another daughter, Margaret, while at sea on that August voyage in 1828.

Elizabeth Bentley indicates in her introduction, that there were several instances where either the entry was unreadable, or blotched, or feint. So I am now pursuing channels to view the original microfilm of the passenger lists, to ascertain if perhaps these 4 individuals might fall into any one of those categories ... as their names do not appear on any other passenger lists referenced to date.

For those that may be new to this list, and interested in the McIntyre line specifically, I'll repost in a separate email, the vital statistics of these members of my family line.

Regards, Kate.