SCT-ISLEOFMULL-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ISLEOFMULL > 2006-11 > 1164216448

From: Anne Stevens <>
Subject: Re: [SCT-ISLEOFMULL] Maclean's of Pennycross
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:35:03 -0500

Linda wrote:

>Not knowing how many on the list received the weekly newsleter from
>ElectricScotland, thought I would share the following article that
>was part of this weeks newsletter:

Hello Linda:
What a very interesting article. I have enjoyed reading it so much.
I have often wondered what happened to Pennycross House. I take it
from your article, that it is still inhabited by MacLeans.
I am descended from Flora Beaton ( My Gr. Grandmother), dau. of
William Beaton & Cathrine McFee of Shiaba, Mull.
William was a direct descendant of the "Mull Beaton Doctors" who
inhabited Pennycross House from approximately 1572 (a gift from
MacLean of Duart ) to sometime between 1714 - 1768 when Neill Beaton,
the last of our line of Beaton Physicians, died. These Beatons were
Physicians to MacLean of Duart, the reason for the gift of Pennycross.

From "The Beatons: a Medical Kindred in the Classical Gaelic
Tradition", by John Bannerman, pub. 1865, John Donald Publishers Ltd,
Edinburgh, Pennycross House was returned to MacLean of Duart, which,
I expect, was your ancestor.

The Una MacGillivray of Pennyghael that married Alexander
MacGillivray of Pennyghael,is recorded in "A History of the Clan
MacGillivray" . My gr. Grandfather and gr. great Grandfather, both
Neil McGillivray's, of Ardalanish, Mull were of the same clan I
expect, but I haven't found a connection yet.

A cousin of mine and her husband, visited Isle of Mull last summer
and visited Pennycross House, which was under renovations at the
time. One of the workmen let them look around, since she was
descended from the Beatons of Pennycross as well.

Is the Beaton walled herb garden still in existence? This was where
they grew their herbs for their receipts and unguents for healing,
passed down through many, many generations in the Beaton family,.

I'm hoping to make another trip to Mull sometime in the future and
see Pennycross House and Pennyghael as well.

Kind regards
Anne

--
Anne (Walwin) Stevens
Newmarket,Ont.Can.

Web Site for The Seven Beaton Sisters from Mull, Scotland
http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=7beatonsisters