SCT-ISLEOFMULL-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ISLEOFMULL > 2006-11 > 1164152747

From: jay <>
Subject: Re: [SCT-ISLEOFMULL] Maclean's of Pennycross
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:45:47 +1100

For anyone interested, my records show the following descent to the
present Maclean of Pennycross:

Eachunn (Hector) Mor of Duart (1497-bef 1571)
Iain Dubh of Morvern (-1586)
Allan of Ardtornish
Charles of Ardnacross(-aft1680)
Allan of Grulin(-1720?)
Charles of Killunaig (1674-1743)
Alexander of Pennycross(-1800)
Archibald Maclean (1751-1830)
Alexander John of Pennycross (1791-1876)
Archibald John of Pennycross (1843-1899)
Charles Alexander Hugh of Pennycross (1874-1948)
as mentioned in the article.

Succession from then:

[Alasdair of Pennycross, son of Charles Alexander Hugh]
[Iain Gilleasbuig of Pennycross (1902-1988, cousin of Alaisdair, nephew
of Charles Alexander Hugh)]

Present:
Nicholas of Pennycross (succeeded via his mother Audrey(-1987?),
daughter of Charles Alexander Hugh, after changed surname to Maclean
from Wolfers)

Thomas W Bennion wrote: [edited]
> Not knowing how many on the list received the weekly newsleter from ElectricScotland, thought I would share the following article that was part of this weeks newsletter:
>

> From: The Celtic Monthly: A Magazine for Highlanders, edited by John MacKay, Glasgow, No. 3, Vol. XI, December, 1902: {Pictures available} The Macleans of Pennycross are descended from the Lords of Duart, chiefs of the clan, through John Dubh, second son of the first Hector Mor of that ilk.
>
> The present head of the house of Pennycross, Captain Chas. Alex. Hugh Maclean, of the 39rd Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders,

This thread: