SCT-ISLEOFMULL-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ISLEOFMULL > 2006-09 > 1158240817

From: Ben Tinck <>
Subject: Re: [SCT-ISLEOFMULL] McCormack/McKinnon/McKechnie
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:33:37 -0400 (EDT)

Gerry

This is really interesting to me. The Mull connections here in this community are numerous, are also interesting, revealing and seem to have happened often,
as they knew each other back on Mull and nearby islands.

The first thing that I find curious is the Campbell / MGillivray connection here in Bentinck Township, as well as our McCormick / McKinnon, McCormick / McEachern conncection from Mull and over here in this area of Grey County called the Queens Bush which specifically is the Rocky Community that was established in 1841. The Durham Road between Durham and Priceville is also as you know, heavily connected with Mull people. Some of our McCormicks ventured there from the Rocky Community and settled there too.

Right across our Concession 2 side road and down a couple of farms from us, is a farm that our family goes back with to Mull and the pioneer days here in Grey County specifically the Rocky Community. The Fletchers lived across from our pioneer McCormicks on that farm on Lots 22, 23, and 24 Con. 2 WGR from 1848 onward. Our McCormicks came to the Rocky Community just north of Durham on the Garafraxa Road in 1843 and 1846.

THESE Fletchers were from Fidden Farm and built a beautiful field stone home that was a replica of the Fidden Farm house on Mull. It is a beautiful house as seen from the road. NOW THE CAMPBELL / MCGILLIVRAY / FLETCHER CONNECTION. Not only did our McCormicks know the Fletchers and do business with them, when I was a kid visiting our McCormick farm here where we live now, I went to visit the another owner OF THAT FIDDEN FARM REPLICA HOUSE and farm. Those owners of that farm were Donald Campbell who was married to a McGillivray. The Campbells and McGillivrays go back to the pioneer days around here too.

Also, my gr grandfather Archibald McCormick's sister Flora McCormick married a John McKinnon and they lived from the early 1850's onward just north of the Rocky Community on the Garafraxa Road. Awhile after that my gr grandfather bought this farm from a DONALD MCKINNON in 1868. Those McKinnons may have been related.

My gr grandfather Rodderick McEachern who lived in the Priceville area of Glenelg Township married Annie McKinnon. He purchased the three ajoining McKinnon lots from my my gr gr gr grandfather and his two sons John Jr. and Hector.

. The McKinnons are buried in the Priceville Pioneer Cemetary near some of my McEacherns.

****The various Mull family connections around here go on and on and are facinating.

Sandy

Hi John Campbell son of Hector had lot 12.Hector was nearby. I
am pretty sure we have a McCormick link.Also the Kennedys from Mull were
nearby.Hector by then( was a widower) and married their daughter Susan bn
1826 who was a young widow.Her mother was Flora McGilvray. Hector had four
sons by Catherine Fletcher .Son Donald Frances married a Catherine Mclaclan
whose mother was a Sarah Campbell. I wonder who in that neck of the woods
the other 3 boys married. I have the feeling there lots of marriages between
the Mull settlers. If we all live as long as they did it would be a bonus
unless any of us have a penchant for sheep stealing. My campbell Wilson
Uncles loved horses .They were pretty wild but they did not get caught for
livestock duffing.

regards Gerry