SCT-ISLEOFMULL-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ISLEOFMULL > 2006-09 > 1157542201

From: Stuart McColl <>
Subject: Re: [Mull] RE: Campbells of Knock
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 12:30:01 +0100 (BST)

Andrew,

Thank you very much for this useful and interesting information.

A couple of suggestions on "Mar Jam" / "Mhor Cam":

Cam probably means squint or twisted. For example, as you probably know, one possible derivation of Campbell is Caim Beul = Twisted Mouth. Mhor means big. So perhaps "Mar Jam" was big and had a squint eye or some physical disability.

The Gaelic word "mar" means "like". There is no letter "J" in the gaelic alphabet but some words starting "D" are pronounced as though they start with a "J". For example: "deamhan" (meaning "devil" or "demon") might be pronounced a bit like "jan" or "jay-ann". However, I very much doubt if this is where "Mar Jam" comes from.

I believe Neil McColl was a son of Iain Ban - I am descended from his brother John.

Thanks again for the information - if I come across anything I think would be useful to you, I'll let you know.

Thanks also to Anne for the Campbell link which is also interesting.

Best wishes

Stuart

Andrew Downie <> wrote:
Stuart,

My knowledge of my Campbell ancestors is based on a family tree drawn by my
great grandfather in the 19th century. He, William Campbell Downie, claimed
to be the son of Archibald Campbell of Knock (probable, but not proven).

Anyway, the family tree he drew traces Archibald back to the Earls of
Argyll, and it is excerpts from this that are on the Mull website.

I believe you are right that these Campbells came over to Mull from the
mainland as a result of the taking of land from the McLeans. I don't
actually know too much about their history, but I believe Colin Campbell of
Bragleen was the first to move to Mull, presumably in the 1690s. Bragleen is
southeast of Oban, but now an empty valley but for one house. I have no idea
what "Mar Jam" (or "Mhor Cam") means. Any help appreciated.

He was followed by Donald (1st of Knock), John (2nd), Duncan, and finally
Col. Donald, who disappeared (sold up?) after 1841.

I understand that the family owned Mishnish Estate (including the land that
was sold to found Tobermory), but were tacksmen for the Duke of Argyll at
Knock, where they actually lived. Knock House is still standing, and the
graves are in a small graveyard in woods behind the house.

The census taken after the 1715 uprising shows a Neil McColl living at
Knock, which may well be relevant.

That is about as much as I know, and if you have any more information, I
would love to see it.

Best wishes,

Andrew

last 12 months. Largest online collection in the world. Learn more: http://www.ancestry.com/s13965/rd.ashx