SCT-ISLEOFMULL-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ISLEOFMULL > 2006-07 > 1153568653

From: "Tom McQuarrie" <>
Subject: Re: [Mull] Re: School Records in Tobermory - 1888 copyright Issue
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 07:44:13 -0400

To all,
I visited the Mull Museum in July of 2005. In an effort to balance opinion I
would like to add the following.
I found the staff to be extremely helpful !!! When I made my inquiry the
individual on duty actually called another volunteer at home to assist in my
research. The second volunteer invited the four of us to their home and
spent about two hours with us researching my family. In the end was able to
break down a brick wall providing family names / MBD info for two
generations further back in time. I had worked on that for 25 years without
success. Besides that has participated in e mails since my trip to further
clarify various questions I have had as I digested my families history. The
information I gained that day was substantiated by one professional
genealogist and two amateurs . Obviously I am quite happy with the results
of my visit.
Yet I am very disappointed in the recent assertion of copyright laws as it
applies to our efforts to share information about family history. I too have
shared information I have with the Mull Museum, including descriptive
letters written by family members from the 1840's and actual copies of
documents authenticating details of my family. Information the Mull Museum
would not have if it was not passed down to me by family members. Now they
can copyright that ? How would we put the puzzle together if we can not
share the various pieces.
Tom McQuarrie Pennsylvania , USA