Archiver > SCT-ISLEOFMULL > 2006-07 > 1153549683

From: Clan MacArthur <>
Subject: Re: School Records in Tobermory - 1888 copyright Issue
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:28:03 -0700 (PDT)

I don't know but wonder - can a public record be copyrighted ?

Jill Allford

Hello Ida,

I must, like you, apologise for not emailing the list sooner but was a bit
shocked by the original email regarding Copyright.

I am distressed to think that Denise could leave the list over it as the
greater majority of people on this list are very helpful indeed.

As you know a lot of us have donated our genealogical findings to the Museum
and I was a bit concerned that people may think that these donations become
copyright to the Mull Museum. I have donated my information on the understanding
that it would be available to anyone who was interested in the family and I
would expect them to share it about as much as possible. I have every
intention of donating further findings to the Museum as they become available. These
finding don't only cover family but local history comes into it as well, and
although I haven't been lucky enough to have discovered a long lost letter or
cache of Photos, I would be leaving them to the Museum as well if I find a
trunkful hidden in someone's laundry.

I don't think the Museum is aware of the number of members of the Museum on
this website. I am paid up until 2009 and tell all and sundry to call in and
have a look when they go to Mull.

It is a pity that this situation has come up after so many of us had such a
wonderful time on the Island during MUGG. Everyone was so very friendly and we
were able to come away understanding a lot better about how our ancestors had

With Kind regards

Jan Peasnell

New! Family Tree Maker 2005. Build your tree and search for your ancestors at the same time. Share your tree with family and friends. Learn more:

Do you Yahoo!?