SCT-ISLEOFMULL-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-ISLEOFMULL > 2006-04 > 1145470586

From: Ben Tinck <>
Subject: Re: [Mull] McGillivray - at Carsaig 1841
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:16:26 -0400 (EDT)

Peggy

Good day. I live near the Rocky Communtiy area just north of Durham on our McCormick homestead. Many pioneers around here were from Mull, including my McCormicks, who also came here in the 1840's from Mull. I have information that may possibly be your McGillvrays. I also have seen McGillvray gravestones in the Rocky Pioneer Cemetary. I also have found another very old John McGillvray gravestone. One of our McCormicks was related by marriage to a McGillvray too.

I hope I can help you.

Sandy

Merle & Ida King <> wrote:
Hi Peggy

Not sure if we've chatted previously. Did your family emigrate to King
twp, York Co, Ont? before 1851
http://www.census-sence.com/ogw/transcript.asp?id+3670&limit+2000.200&whpg=26

If Michael is correct and this is Catherine McGregor then I have these
listed with John & her as parents

1841 census
Carsaig 60 MacGilvrae John 50 Tenant Y
Carsaig 60 MacGilvrae Catherine 55 Y
McGregor m Jan 28 1813 Torosay M115501, 0027
Carsaig 60 MacGilvrae Donald 25 Y Feb 9
1814 Torosay C115502, 1149
Carsaig 60 MacGilvrae Archibald 25 Y May 2
1816 Kilfinchen C115422, 1287
Carsaig 60 MacGilvrae Ann 20 Y Oct 18 1818
Torosay C115502, 1400
Carsaig 60 MacGilvrae John 15 Y Apr 3 1825
C115502, 0244
Carsaig 60 MacGilvrae Flora 13 Y Feb 3
1828 C115502, 0400 listed as Flory
Carsaig 60 MacFadyen Archibald 25 Y ?????

Ida

Peggy Quinney wrote:

>I am new to this list and have been looking for my McGillivray family who
>came to Canada from the Isle of Mull. So far I have located the family in
>the 1841 Census but have not had as much luck with other records from Mull.
>
>John McGillivray b ca 1791 married to Catherine ?? b ca 1789; listed in
>1841 Census living at Carsaig, Kilfinchen & Kilvickeon (Dist 7, p 15, line
>11-17)
>

>Family includes in 1841:
>
>John MacGilvrae M 50 Tenant born Argyllshire-y
>
>Catherine F 55 y
>
>Donald M 25 y
>
>Archibald M 25 y
>
>Ann F 20 y
>
>John M 15 y
>
>Flora F 13 y
>

>As yet I have not located the record of marriage for John and Catherine
>although would expect this to be approx 1810-15 range of years. Nor have I
>located any baptism records with certainty as I do not have Catherine's
>maiden name. My g-grandfather is the young John listed as age 15 in 1841
>Census.
>

>I know that this Mull list is a rich resource to help sort through family
>connections so I look forward to any information and advice that you can
>provide. I have tracked the family through the years after their arrival in
>Canada.
>

>Peggy Quinney
>

>==============================
>Search Family and Local Histories for stories about your family and the
>areas they lived. Over 85 million names added in the last 12 months.
>Learn more: http://www.ancestry.com/s13966/rd.ashx

Find your ancestors in the Birth, Marriage and Death Records.
New content added every business day. Learn more:
http://www.ancestry.com/s13964/rd.ashx

7 bucks a month. This is Huge Yahoo! Music Unlimited

This thread: