SCEDGEFI-L Archives

Archiver > SCEDGEFI > 2007-03 > 1173580765

From: "Lee and Billie Jones" <>
Subject: Re: [SCEDGEFI] Some Scurry Death Cert.
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 21:39:25 -0500

Harriett, thank you for the information you sent on the Scurrys. I left it
at the bottom as I am sending this to several others who are no longer on
the Edgefield list but work on some of these lines.

Regarding some names you mention: Specifically the Waters and Farrow name.

Note the names in the outline I created from my files. I don't feel like
all is proven, but the information you sent goes a long way to make it feel
"more right." There has been speculation between Gideon and Thomas Scurry
for years as to which one was the father of my Lydia Scurry md. Charles
Carter.

Pension application and widows pension application went on for years,
without being approved until after Charles Carters death and shortly before
Lydia died. I think it takes up 50+ pages on the microfilm in the State
archives. In this info. she states that she is of NEWBERRY CO, SC, where
you state that Thomas lived for a decade.

Here is the outline as I have it from Walker, Farrow, Scurry and Waters
research. Brackets mean I have no proof of this name.

1 John Farrow d: Abt. 1776
.. +Rosanna Waters b: Jun 01, 1734 in Prince William Co. Va m: Abt. 1751
Father: Philemon WATERS II Mother: Sarah BORDOYNE
..... 2 Landon Farrow
............ 3 Chaney Farrow b: Jan 10, 1785 in Spartanburg, Old 96th Dist,
SC d: Abt. 1860 in Spartanburg, SC
................ +Sarah Walker b: Aug 14, 1777 m: Abt. 1808 d: Oct 08, 1813
Father: Samuel WALKER Mother: Martha Jefferson BELL
..... 2 John Farrow b: Oct 01, 1757 in Prince William County, VA d: Aft. Oct
16, 1832
..... 2 Sarah Farrow
..... 2 Thomas Farrow
..... 2 Samuel Farrow
......... +Rachel WATERS
..... 2 Jane Farrow
..... 2 William Farrow
..... 2 Mary [Farrow]
......... +Thomas Scurry
............ 3 Lydia Scurry b: Apr 28, 1767 in Newberry Dist., SC d: Sep 28,
1853 in Edgefield Co, SC
................ +Charles Carter b: Jan 04, 1763 in Hillsborough Dist., NC
m: Apr 06, 1786 in Newberry Co., SC d: Oct 29, 1843 in Edgefield Co., SC
Father: Uproven CARTER
............ 3 Catherine Scurry
................ +John Havird d: Aft. Sep 1825
............ 3 Rosella Scurry b: Nov 26, 1785 d: Oct 23, 1860 Burial:
Edgefield Village - Willowbrook Cem, Edgefield, SC
................ +Reuben Blalock m: Jan 12, 1813 in Edgefield Co, SC
............ 3 Mary Scurry
............ 3 Jesse Scurry

I have 4 Jesse Scurrys and that is confusing. This one by dates possibly a
brother to Thomas md Mary [Farrow]

Descendants of Jesse Scurry
1 Jesse Scurry b: Bef. 1755 d: Jan 1826 in Edgefield Co, SC
.. +Peggy b: in SC d: Bet. 1802 - 1810 in Probably Edgefield Co, SC
..... 2 Ralph Scurry b: Abt. 1797 d: Feb 25, 1829
............ 3 Jesse Scurry b: Abt. Apr 17, 1823 d: Sep 19, 1854
..... 2 William Scurry
..... 2 Mary Scurry
..... 2 Nancy Scurry
..... 2 Dempsey Scurry

The other one is and he might be the same as another one.
Descendants of Jesse Scurry
1 Jesse Scurry
.. +Amy Morgan Father: John MORGAN Mother: ELIZABETH
..... 2 Ralph Scurry
..... 2 William Scurry d: Bef. 1860
......... +Elizabeth Rogers b: Oct 29, 1783 m: Abt. 1808 in probably
Edgefield Dist., SC d: Bef. 1819
............ 3 Tabitha Scurry d: Jul 1827
............ 3 Nancy Scurry b: Sep 13, 1809 in Edgefield Dist, SC d: 1889 in
AL
............ 3 Thomas Scurry b: Abt. 1810 in Edgefield Dist, SC d: Sep 1842
in Edgefield Dist, SC
............ 3 Dempsey Scurry b: Abt. 1812
............ 3 Eliza Scurry b: Feb 03, 1815 in SC d: Aft. 1880
................ +Jacob B. Smith b: Abt. 1801 in SC Father: SMITH

For those who are interested in entering this info. into your files, contact
me and let me send you a registry with notes and sources, as a lot of it is
conjecture without real source documentation.

I also note a Gorman in the file I have some info. on them, but not on
Thomas. He might be the father or brother of the early ones I have.

Thanks again for sharing good documentation that helps other fit their
families together.