ROPER-L Archives

Archiver > ROPER > 2006-03 > 1143035209

Subject: Re: Explaining the SUGGS-CRAIN-ROPER Connection in Habersham, GA
Date: 22 Mar 2006 06:46:49 -0700

Surnames: Roper, Suggs, Crain
Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/kgDBAEB/767.3.1.1.1

Message Board Post:

OK friends, here goes. The info on Jesse Sugg(s) Will came from a dear lady in Lula, GA by the name of Betty Evans in 2001.

Jesse Sugg(s) (my 5th great-grandpa) born abt. 1770, died Sept. 1843, Pickens County, SC. Married twice, 1st wife name unknown, 2nd wife named Elizabeth.

Children by 1st wife:
Winney (married Singleton Roper, these are my 4th great-grandparents), Sarah (married Alfred Roper, Singleton's brother), Arpha or Orphea (married William Crain), Rebbeca (married ? Black), Elizabeth (married William Stephens), Allen, John, Loven, and Jesse Jr.

Children by 2nd wife: Elias, Elijah, Dorcas and Charlotte.

Jesse's Will was dated Aug. 1838. He left $.50 cents each to his children by his 1st wife. The remainder he left to his 2nd wife Elizabeth, and upon her death, to go to their four children. Executors of the estate were his "friends" James M. Barton and James Ferguson. The older children sued but lost their case, finally settled in 1851.

Another footnote, Singleton and Alfred Roper had a sister named Synthia Roper who married a Jesse Crain?? not sure where Jesse fits in at this point, but I'm sure they are all related some way.

Apparently there were problems with the families during the next few years. On Genealogy.com, Janette Bryant has posted various legal problems with the families, including the following: "Pickens County, SC 1850. J. Ferguson (executor of Jesse Suggs' estate) appeared making claim that he believed Elijah Suggs and Franklin Crain did kill and feloniously steal one of his hogs. He asks that the court bring them in and deal with them."

Interesting reading isn't it? Take care and God bless. CURT

This thread: