ROOTS-L ArchivesArchiver > ROOTS > 2001-12 > 1009824852
Subject: [ROOTS-L] 1800s,KY, James Holdman, Holeman, Holman
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 13:54:12 EST
I am trying to connect this 1800s Crab Orchard, Kentucky family to one of the
established Holman/Holeman lines.
JAMES HOLMAN (or Holeman or Holdman) was born about 1814 or 1815 in Kentucky
or Virginia. He was a farmer. He may have had a brother named William H.
Holdman, born about 1827 in Virginia.
On June 3, 1835 in Garrard County, KY, James Holman married Martha (Patsy) F.
Ramsey. Patsy was born about 1815 or 1816 in Kentucky or Virginia. She was
the daughter of Alex Ramsey. James and Patsy had the following children:
1. Mary Holman, born 1836 in Virginia. She died May 30, 1859 or 1851 in
Garrard County, KY.
2. James Alexander Holman, born about 1837 in Virginia.
3. Amanda (Mandy) Holman, born about 1838 in Virginia. She married a John
Tatum and had seven children, including Molly, who married a Mr. Collier.
4. Sally (Sarah) Holman, born about 1839 in Virginia or Kentucky. She married
John McGill, born 1811 in PA, and had four children: Annie and George
(twins), Sarah, and Samuel. Annie married a Mr. Rice and had a son, Ellice.
5. Daniel Holman, born June 27, 1842 in Rockcastle County, KY and died March
14, 1903 in Rockcastle County. He raised livestock. On January 8, 1868, he
married Elizabeth (Betty) Margaret Carson, born April 10, 1848 in Rockcastle
County and died October 21, 1899 in Rockcastle County. Betty was the daughter
of David Carson and Catherine Lawrence.
Daniel and Betty had eight children, including Thomas Jefferson (Jeff)
Holman. About 1903, Jeff married his first cousin, Perlina Coffey. Perlina
was the daughter of Thomas Jefferson Coffey, born August 27, 1824 in Mt.
Vernon, KY and died June 9, 1897, and Ruth Carson born February 14, 1844 in
Rockcastle County and died January 2, 1916. Thomas Coffey and Ruth Carson are
buried at the T. J. Coffey Cemetery (farm at head of Lake Linville).
6. Thomas Holman, born about 1847 in Kentucky. On December 9, 1873 in Lincoln
County, KY, he married Maggie Melvin, born 1848 in Kentucky and they had
three children: Oliver, John, and Mayme.
7. Mildred E. Holman, born about 1847 in KY.
8. William (Will) H. Holman, born about 1850 in KY.
9. Madison (Matt) Holman, born September 3, 1856 in Garrard County, KY. On
December 12, 1883 in Lincoln County, KY, he married Julia Lindsay. They had
two children: Robert and Bill.
10. Francis (Fanny) Holman, born about 1860 in KY. She never married and died
at a young age.
11. Samuel David Holman, born June 7, 1859 in Brodhead, KY and died February
19, 1900 in Crab Orchard, KY. On December 23, 1884 in Lincoln County, KY,
Samuel married Claudia Lung Carson, born December 5, 1865 in Crab Orchard, KY
and died December 7, 1963 in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. Claudia Lung Carson's
father was James (Shanghai) Fish Carson, born March 24, 1841 in Crab Orchard,
KY, and died October 21, 1885 in Crab Orchard. Her mother was Eliza A. Myers,
born September 15, 1840 in Crab Orchard, KY and died September 15, 1896.
Holdman, Holeman, Holman?
In the 1850 Lincoln County, Kentucky census, James and Martha were “Holdman.”
In the Garrard County, Kentucky marriage records, James is “Holeman.”
In the Garrard County, Kentucky birth record for his son Madison, James is
In the Garrard County, Kentucky birth record for his son Samuel, James is
In the Garrard County, Kentucky death record for his daughter Mary, James is
In the 1860 Garrard County, Kentucky census, James and Martha were “Holeman.”
In the 1870 Lincoln County, Kentucky census, James and Martha were “Holman.”
In the 1880 Lincoln County, Kentucky census, James and Martha were “Holman.”
Any help would be appreciated.