ROGERS-NC-L Archives

Archiver > ROGERS-NC > 2001-07 > 0996201091

From: "Lance Bretsnyder" <>
Subject: [(Rogers-NC)] Rogers/Rodgers notes for North Carolina to 1726
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 19:31:31 -0700

These are notes from various land record books and will books pertaining to the Rogers, etc. of the northeastern counties of North Carolina. My research has been primarily focused on the counties of Chowan, Bertie, Northampton, Edgecombe, and Nash & yes, old Albemarle. Where a specific county has not been named although the record pertains to the deed book of a county, it pertains to Bertie County.

NORTH CAROLINA WILLS 1663-1722

424. WILLIAM (X) ROGERS 24 Apr 1690 O (no probate)

Albemarle Co.

JONATHAN BATMEN-all my estate.

Wit. JNO. HOLLFAND, JOHN TWIGGER, HANAH EDY

Deed Book W #1, Chowan Co. NC

#355 pg. 168 (part of a deed) FFRANCIS MCLENDON and ELLINER his wife to THOMAS ROGERS 10 pds 10 shillings lawful money of this Province 150 acres on ye west side of Chowan river, joining CHARLES GAVIN and ye mouth of ye Bear branch part of a grant to DENNIS MCLENDON 28 Feb. 1704/5 bind myself in the penall sum of ---pds. Wit.: ANDREW SALSBURY, DANIEL MAGEE (his mark) Reg. 8 Feb. 1714/15

DEED BOOK C #1, CHOWAN CO., N.C.

#1596 pg. 482 CHARLES CRADOCK of Scopernung in Chowan Prect. and in the South Parish, Planter to ANDREW OLIVER (residence not given) 15 July 1715 for a valuable consideration 100 acres on the west side of Scopernung River neer the Tarr Landing, joining Mockon's swamp and the River Swamp Wit.: JOHN ROGERS (his mark), MATT. CASWELL, SAMUEL SPRUILL. Proved ye 19 July 1724 before me C. GALE, Ch. Just.

NC PATENT BOOK 8

3272 pg. 275 BENJAMIN ROGERS this -day of-1716 166 acres near Summerton, joining a Swamp and JOHN BARFIELD Witnesses: (not given)

Deed Book B #1, Chowan Co., NC

#872 pg. 329 PETER PARKER SR. of Chowan Prect. to JOHN NAIRN 16 July 1716 letter of Attorney to Acknowledge to RICHARD WILLIAMSON 250 acres it being the Plantation he now lives on Wit.: RICHARD SOWELL(his mark), THOMAS ROGERS (his mark) Reg. 6 Aug. 1716

Deed Book B #1, Chowan Co., NC

#873 pg. 329 PETER PARKER of Chowan Prect. to RICHARD WILLIAMSON of Chowan Prect. 16 July 1716 12 pds 250 acres on ye west side of Chowan river, joining CHARLES GAVIN, PAT LAUGHLY and the river and is the land COL. EDWARD MOSELEY surveyed for WILLIAM PAGGETT 3 July 1707 and was assigned to me by the sd. PAGETT 18 Mar. 1709 Wit.: RICHARD SOWELL (his mark), THOMAS ROGERS (his mark) Reg. 6 Aug. 1716

Deed Book B #1, Chowan Co., NC

#858 pg. 309 THOMAS ROGERS of Chowan prect. and JEAN ROGERS to RICHARD SHOWELL of Chowan Prect. 21 July 1716 10 pds. current money of this Province 100 acres more or less on the west side of Chowan River at the mouth of Chinkapin branch all houses, orchards, gardains etc. sealed and delivered by Rurf and Twigg Wit.: EDWARD HOWCOTT, CHARLES GAVEN (his mark) Ack. by THOMAS ROGERS and also RICHARD WILLIAMSON, by a Power of Attorney, ack. the right of Dower of JANE (sic) wife of the sd. THOMAS before me C.GALE Reg. 3 Aug. 1716

Deed Book B #1, Chowan Co., NC

#859 pg. 312 JEAN ROGERS to RICHARD WILLIAMSON 23 July 1716 letter of attorney to acknowledge to RICHARD SOWELL a piece of land containing 100 acres Wit.: MORD WHITE (his mark), EDWARD HOWCOTT Reg. 3 Aug. 1716

NC PATENTS: PB 8

3246 pg. 269 RICHARD SOWELL 16 August 1716 186 acres in Chowan precinct, joining THOMAS ROGERS, the Mill Creek, and JAMES BOON Witnesses: (not given)

NC PATENTS: PB 8

3272 pg. 275 BENJAMIN ROGERS this - day of ----- 1716 166 acres near Summerton, joining a Swamp and JOHN BARFIELD witnesses: (not given)

NORTH CAROLINA WILLS 1663-1722

557. LEWIS (X) WILLIAMS 1 Oct 1716 O 16 Apr 1717 (before R. Hicks)

Of Chowan Precint in Albemarle Co. "very Sick and weak in Body"

Son ANTHONY & his wife MARTHA-250 acres where they now live for live, & then to my grandson LEWIS WILLIAMS, sd land joining LAZARUS THOM. Son ANTHONY-100 acres on Poplar Swamp at Catawatskey. Grandson JOHN JONES-100 acres joining Cattawatskey. Grandson CHARLES LOWELL [SAWELL?]-100 acres joining Poplar Run. Grandson LEWIS JONES-100 acres joining Poplar Run, Litle Branch. Grandson JOHN PATCHETT-100 acres. JOHN son of WM. WILLIAMS dec'd-5 pds. Daughter PRECILLA WEST-land where I now live after the decease of my wife MARY, sd land joining JAMES RUTLAND excepting 100 acres which JAMES RUTLEDGE bought from me & he should have the land joining Katherines Creek & ROBT. ROGERS. Wife-plantation at Catawatskey for life & then to my grandson LEWIS WILLIAMS. Grandchildren (the children of ANTHO. WILLIAMS)-cattle. Wife-use of a negro man JONATHAN SAYERS is to bring me in the fall. Other legacies.

Ex. wife MARY, son ANTHONEY WILLIAMS

Wit. WILLIAM CRANFORD, GRISSIE (X) LITTLESON

[Precilla West was the wife of Peter West]

NORTH CAROLINA WILLS 1663-1722

235. JOHN HAWKINGS 8 Feb 1716/17 O 27 Mar 1717 (before R. Hicks)

Of Chowan Precinct. "vary weak of body"

Son JOSHUA HAWKING-1sh at age 21. Son JAMES HAWKINS-1sh at age 21. Daughter ANNE HAWKINGS-1sh at age 16. THOMAS son of JOYCE HARTSHORNE-50 acres on Cashoke Creek. ELIZABETH daughter of JOYCE HARTSHORNE-2 cows & calves, etc, when she is age 16. JOYCE HARTSHORNE-residue of my estate.

Ex. JOYCE HARTSHORNE

Wit. THOS. (X) ROGERS, FRANCES (X) ROGERS [female?], JOHN HARDY

[Note on back: Aged 34 years, "departed this life" 10 Feb 1716/17. Note: A copy of this will exists, probated 10 Aug 1719 before C. Eden.]

[Note: Also 875/111]

NC PATENTS: PB 3

1664 pg. 31 WILLIAM PADGET 9 March 1717 640 acres in Chowan precinct, joining EDWARD HOWCOT, THOMAS ROGERS, Mare branch, COLO. MAULE, and CHARLES GULLIVER Witnesses: C. EDEN, THOS. POLLOCK, WM. REED, RICHD. SANDERSON, FRA. FOSTER

Deed Book B #1, Chowan Co., NC

#1112 pg. 580 MARY WILLIAMS widow and Relict of LEWIS WILLIAMS of Chowan Prect. to JAMES RUTLAND of Chowan Prect., planter 18 Mar. 1717 10 pds. 100 acres formerly sold by my Husband LEWIS WILLIAMS in his lifetime the sd. Land lying on the west side of Katharine Creek and joining ROBERT ROGERS Wit.: PRECILLA WEST, GEORGE LUMLEY Reg. 7 Nov. 1718

Deed Book B #1, Chowan Co., NC

#1045 pg. 515 THOMAS PARKER of Chowan Prect. to WILLIAM PARKER and FRANCIS PARKER of the same place 18 June 1717 for the love and affection I bear my sons acres (not given) being 1 part of the Plantation whereon I now live except ye part I gave to my son-in-law BENJAMIN EVANS Wit.: THOMAS ROGERS ( ) his mark, JOHN NAIRN Reg. 31 8ber 1717

Deed Book B #1, Chowan Co., NC

#1045 pg. 515 THOMAS PARKER of Chowan Prect. to WILLIAM PARKER and FRANCIS PARKER of the same place 18 June 1717 for the love and affection I bear my sons acres (not given) being 1 part of the Plantation whereon I now live except ye part I gave to my son-in-law BENJAMIN EVANS Wit.: THOMAS ROGERS (his mark), JOHN NAIRN Reg. 31 8ber 1717

NORTH CAROLINA WILLS 1663-1722

208. MARTIN GRIFEN planter 3 Jun 1718 O Jul Ct 1718 (before R. Hicks)

"Weak in Body". Probated in Chowan Co.

Son EDWARD GRIFEN-land on north side of Cissai River, my Indian slave, when he is age 21. Sons JOHN & WILLIAM GRIFEN-land on south side of Rokquis Creek when they are age 16. Son MARTIN GRIFEN-land on southern branch of Rokquis Creek. Daughter SARAH GRIFEN-2 cows & calves to be delivered in May 1720; pewter when she is age 16. ELIZABETH GRIFEN-2 cows & calves to be delievered in may 1721; pewter when she is age 16. MARY STANSILL daughter of MARY STANSILL-cow & calf to be delivered to JOHN STANSILL in May 1720; with reveresion to WILLIAM STANSILL son of JOHN STANSILL & ELIZABETH STANSILL. JOHN RODGERS son of THOMAS RODGERS & his wife FRANCES RODGERS-heifer to be delivered next May.

Ex. wife ELIZABETH GRIFEN

Wit. THOMAS (X) RODGERS, RICHARD (X) PICKEREN, JOHN SMITHWICK

[Also 875/165]

Deed Book B #1, Chowan Co., NC

#1184 pg. 644 CHRISTIAN BROWN of Albemarle Co., widow to JOHN ROGERS (residence not given) 21 8ber 1718 for 1000 pounds of good Merchantable Tobacco 118 acres more or less, joining ye River pocoson and WILLIAM BROWN Wit: (not given) Reg. 27 Feb. 1718

NORTH CAROLINA WILLS 1663-1722

566. HENRY (X) WOODNOT 29 Dec 1718 O 29 Jun 1719 (before Charles Eden)

"Sick and weak in body"

ROBERT BELL of Chowan Precinct-negro man Henry. ISABELL the daughter of ANNE FERGUSON "now the wife of ROBERT BELL' [note: antecedent unclear]-remainder of my estate, land in "this countrey" & Virginia, negro woman Betty & her children; should she die before age 16 then reversion to ROBERT BELL & his children.

Ex. friends ROBERT BELL, ISABELL FERGUSON

Wit. ARTHUR (X) DUGALL, THOMAS (X) ROGERS, JAMES CASTELLAW

[Also 875/176]

Deed Book F #1, Chowan Co. NC

#450 pg. 30 WILLIAM WILLIAMSON (residence not given) and MARY his wife to THOMAS ROGERS (residence not given) 16 Jan. 1719 23 pds. Sterling of Great Britain 100 acres at the mouth of Bear Branch, joining FRANCIS MACKLENDON, WILLIAM HOOKER and Sandy Run all houses, orchards and gardens and WILLIAM and MARY bind themselves in the sum of 46 pds. Starling Wit.: WILLIAM CRAWFORD, RICHARD MALLPASS (his mark) Reg. Chowan Ct. 20 Apr. 1720 Test.: THOMAS HENMAN, Clerk

NORTH CAROLINA WILLS 1663-1722

416. BENJAMIN (X) RICKS planter 31 Mar 1719 O 30 Nov 1721 (before C. Eden)

Chowan Precinct. "Sick and Weak in Boody"

ROBERT RICKS JR. son of my brother ROBERT RICKS SR.-125 acres on the north side of Notaway River after the decease of my wife SARAH. Brother ISAAC RICKS-saddle. Brother ABRAHAM RICKS-1sh. Brother ROBERTS RICKS SR.-1sh. Brother JAMES RICKS-1sh. Sister JANE RICKS-1sh. PATIENCE RICKS the daughter o my brother ABRAHAM-2000 pounds of pork. WILLIAM BROWN the son of BEALE BROWN-2 cows & calves, 2 beds, plantation where I now live, with reversion to sd PATIENCE. Wife SARAH-residue of my estate.

Ex. wife SARAH

Wit. BRIDGETT (X) ROGERS, MARY (X) ROGERS, JOHN PHIPPS

[Also 875/344]

Deed Book C #1, Chowan Co., NC

#1459 pg. 246 CHARLES PATE of Chowan Prect. to THOMAS ROGERS SR. (residence not given) 14 May 1719 consideration (not given) 100 acres on the north side of Morattoke river, joining EDWARD BERRY part of the land of EDWARD SMETHWICK, decd. which the sd. PATE bought of NATHAN MOORE Wit.: WILLIAM LATTIMER, ELIZABETH LATTIMER Ack. 17 July 1722 by WILLIAM LATTIMER, esquire before me C. GALE, Ch. Just. Reg. 7 Aug. 1722

Deed Book F#1, Chowan Co. NC

#424 pg. 5 RICHARD SOWELL of Chowan Prect. and MARGARET his wife to RICHARD MALLPASS of the same place 18 Jan. 1720(sic) 40 pds. Sterling 286 acres on the west side of Chowan river at the mouth of Chinkapin Branch, joining THOMAS ROGERS, JAMES BOON and the branch all houses, orchards, gardans etc. Wit.: WILLIAM WADE, WILLIAM CRAWFORD Reg. At a Court held for chowan Prect. at the house of WILLIAM BRANCH the 3rd Tuesday in Jan. 1719(sic) THOMAS HENMAN, Clerk

Deed Book C #1, Chowan Co., NC

#1386 pg. 157 WILLIAM LOW of Albemarle Co. to EMANUEL ROGERS of the same Co., carpenter 19 Jan. 1720 20 pds. current money 140 acres more or less at the mouth of a meadow, joining a branch, ROBERT SMITH and Moratoke river and is land WILLIAM LOW purchased of WILLIAM REEVES 30 Sept. 1718 Wit: CHRISTIAN DICKSON (her mark) [NEED P. 172 CHOWAN]

(?) mark, JOHN NAIRN Ack. (date not given) by JOHN NAIRN before me FRED.JONES, Ch.Just. Reg. 18 Sept. 1721

Deed Book C #1, Chowan Co., NC

#1387 pg. 158 WILLIAM REEVES of Albemarle Co. to RALPH MASON of the same Co., planter 19 Jan. 1720 10 pds. Current Money 60 acres more or less on the south side of Morattok River, joinng ROBERT LANG and the River Wit.: EMANUEL ROGERS (his mark), JOHN NAIRNE Ack. 25 July 1721 by JOHN NAIRNE before me FRED.JONES, Ch.Just. Reg. 19 Sept. 1721

Deed Book C #1, Chowan Co., NC

#1388 pg. 159 WILLIAM REEVES of Albemarle Co. to EMANUEL ROGERS of the same Co., Carpenter 19 Jan. 1720 10 pds. current Money 100 acres more or less on the south side of Morattok River, joining NATHANIEL MERRIOTT, the mouth of Poteara (?) Creek and the river Wit.: RALPH MASON (his mark), JOHN NAIRN Ack. (date not given) by JOHN NAIRN before me FRED. JONES, Ch. Just. Reg. 19 Sept. 1721

N.C. PATENTS: PATENT BOOK 8

3056 PG. 213 WILLIAM ASHLEY 1 March 1719/20 320 acres in Chowan precinct, joining a swamp, JOHN PIPKIN, and ROBERT ROGERS Witnesses: CHA. EDEN, THOS. POLLOCK, FRE. JONES, RICHD. SANDERSON, JOHN HECKLEFIELD

N.C. PATENTS: PATENT BOOK 8

3022 pg. 203 JOHN BROWN 1 March 1719/20 286 acres in Chowan precinct, joining RICHARD MOLPUS, ye Beech swamp, JOHN BAREFIELD, BENJAMIN ROGERS, and a branch of Beech swamp

Witnesses: CHA. EDEN, THOS. POLLOCK, FRE. JONES, RICHD. SANDERSON, JOHN HECKLEFIELD

Deed Book F #1, Chowan Co. NC

#449 pg. 30 MARY WILLIAMSON of Chowan Prect. to WILLIAM CRAWFORD 15 Apr. 1720 power of attorney to acknowledge sale of 100 acres to THOMAS ROGERS son of THOMAS ROGERS, decd. Which was sold by my husband WILLIAM WILLIAMSON Wit.: JANE ROGERS (her mark), RICHARD MALLPASS (his mark) Reg. Chowan Ct. 3rd Tuesday in Apr. 1720 Test.:THOMAS HENMAN, Clerk

Deed Book F #1, Chowan Co. NC

#525 pg. 115 JOHN STANCILL of Chowan Prect. and SARAH his wife to THOMAS MADKIFE of Cecile Co., Md., planter this 10 day of Dec. in the 5th years of the reign of Our Soverign Lord King George of Great Britton and Ireland Defender of the faith Anno Domino 1720 10 pds sterling money of Breat Britain 388 acres in Kisa neck on the north side of Morratock river Wit.: WILLIAM LATTIMER, MARY ROGERS Reg. Chowan Ct. Apr. 1721 Test.: THOMAS HENMAN, Clerk

DEED BOOK C #1, CHOWAN CO., N.C.

#1557 pg. 365 JOHN GARDNER to THOMAS ROGERS 17 Oct. 1722 assignment of a deed purchased of JOHN SESSIONS 15 Mar. 1721/22 Wit: WILLIAM LATTIMER, JAMES BRADDY Ack. Chowan Court 17 8ber 1722 Test.: WILLIAM BADHAM D. C. C. Reg. 31, May 1723

DEED BOOK C#1, CHOWAN COUNTY, NC

#1557 pg. 365 JOHN GARDNER to THOMAS ROGERS 17 Oct. 1722 assignment of a deed purchased of JOHN SESSIONS 15 Mar. 1721/

N.C. PATENTS: PATENT BOOK 3

2070 pg. 135 EMANUEL ROGERS 26 March 1723 640 acres on the S. side of Quinkey Creek, joining the fork of the sd. Creek Witnesses: WM. REED, F. FOSTER, R. SANDERSON, J. LOVICK, M. MOORE

N.C. PATENTS: PATENT BOOK 3

2061 pg. 133 ABRAHAM DEW 26 March 1723 640 acres in Bertie precinct on the N. side of Maherine River, joining JOHN CHESSON, JOHN ROGERS, and WILLIAM BROWN Witnesses: WM. REED, F. FOSTER, R. SANDERSON, J. LOVICK, M. MOORE

N.C. PATENTS: PATENT BOOK 3

2067 pg. 134 EMANUEL ROGERS 26 March 1723 190 acres in Bertie precinct on the N. side of Morattock, joining Bridger's Creek Witnesses: W. REED, F. FOSTER, R. SANDERSON, J. LOVICK, M. MOORE

NCG&HR, Vol. 1, p. 19

ROBERT ROGERS and MONTFORT LANGSTON, JR. August 4, 1723; 598 acres, near Rogers' Pocosin, joining upon John Pipkin and Thomas Peylant's land.

NC PATENTS: PB 3

2200 pg. 168 ROBERT ROGERS and MONTFORT LANGSTON, JR. 4 August 1723 598 acres in Chowan precinct, joining JOHN PIPKIN, Rogers pocoson, and THOMAS PEYLANT Witnesses: WM. REED, C. GALE, R. SANDERSON, J. LOVICK, T. POLLOCK.

NC PATENTS: PB 3

2168 pg. 160 THOMAS DAVIS 4 August 1723 310 acres in Bertie precinct, joining THOMAS ROGERS, WILLIAM PADGET, the Miery branch, WILLIAM MAULE, WILLIAM HOOPER, and JAMES BOON. Witnesses: WM. REED, C. GALE, R. SANDERSON, J. LOVICK, THOS. POLLOCK.

NORTH CAROLINA WILLS 1723-1736

421. JOHN (x) RODGERS 4 Mar 1724 O 17 Jul 1726 (before Richard Everard)

Of Bartie Precint, Albermarl Co. "very Sick and weak of body"

Son JOHN-plantation where he now lives' all my movable estate.

Ex. son JOHN

Wit. JOSEPH DARDEN, MARY (x) RODGERS, JOHN (x) RODGERS

This thread: