ROBERTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROBERTS > 1999-07 > 0932492154

From: nemo solus sapit <>
Subject: [ROBERTS-L] roberts
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:35:54 -0400 (EDT)

It's been a while since I inquired about my Roberts clan, and perhaps
someone new has joined who will know something about them.

Starting with my father: David Everett Roberts, b 2/9/11 in Nebraska,
died 1955 NYC
and his sister: Mary Edna Roberts, b.5/16/08 place unknown
died approx 1975 GA/Al area

Their parents were: William E. Roberts, b.4/25/77-8 San Francisco CA
died 3/20/64 Pasedena CA
and: Edna D. Cumberland, b.1882 Sardinia OH
died 5/24/53 Pasedena CA

My ggrandfather,
mother & other
children: Thomas Roberts, b.1838-9 in Wales
(the great Sarah (unknown) b.1843-4 in Wales
unknown) Thomas Jr b.1862-3 in Wales
Hannah b.1870-1 in IL
David James b.1874-5 in CA
William E. b.1887-8 in CA
Luther b.1878-9 in CA

The reason the d.o.b.'s are unsure, is because it took a year to compile
the 1880 Census in San Francisco. I came across information about a
'Luther' who died in 1881 in that vacinity, at what would have been the
right age. Other than that I haven't found anything about these folks. The
only other details I can share are: William E & Edna were both students at
Occidental College in Los Angeles in the early 1900's, as was David E.
Roberts, later. William was a boxer at one point in his early life, but
after college went on to be a minister. At the end his life, David E. was
Dean of Students at Union Theological Seminary, in NYC. My mother says
Grand Willie, as David's father was known, was not keen on keeping in
touch with other family members, hence she never got to know of them, and
the trail grew indistinct.

Information about any of these characters would be gladly received.
Thank you.

Diana Roberts

This thread: