RHOADS-L Archives

Archiver > RHOADS > 2012-04 > 1335129874

From: "Ted Smith" <>
Subject: [RHOADS] Rhoads families in Anderson,Indiana
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 14:24:34 -0700

In 2007 I posted several messages regarding Daniel Rhoads of Anderson,
Indiana, including a published biography. That biography mentioned that
Daniel had a brother who manufactured wagons (company named Rhoads Wagons)
in Anderson and who was a General in the local GAR post. I am still
searching for GAR records but yesterday found mention of Rhoads Wagons in
Encyclopedia of American Farm Implements and Antiques; on p. 460 is listed
Samuel Rhoads of Anderson, Indiana, 1892, as a wagon maker.

The 1900 Census for Anderson, Indiana indicates Samuel Rhoads, manufacturer
of wagons, was b. Mar 1848 in Ohio, parents both born in PA (same as
Daniel's info). Samuel's wife is Elieta (or possibly Elicta), b. Aug 1848
in
Indiana, daughter Clara (b. in IN in Jun 1875), and son Stephen (b. Dec
1882
in IN). They were living at 303 West 4th St in Anderson. I have not yet
checked the 1920 and 1930 census records or found anything that absolutely
links Samuel and Daniel, but strongly suspect Samuel is Daniel's brother.