REVEL-L Archives

Archiver > REVEL > 2002-05 > 1020605099

Subject: Re: George Brock
Date: 5 May 2002 07:24:59 -0600

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/gIDBAIB/21.2.1.1.1.2

Message Board Post:

About his death - Don't know where he was living at time - don't know where to look for records. Thought he was living "across the river" from Mrs. White and her family - according to Betty's stories. The "river" could be a boundary line between counties. Betty said they "went down the river, crossed (bridge or ferry?) and back up the other side" to get to the White home. She cared for the Brock children - at least after his divorce from 2nd wife - and again, they were in her home after he was killed. The murder was after he threatened to report to the sheriff his discovey of Revo. War artifacts in his "loft" - items belonging to an old Revo. War Veteran who had lived in the area, and who had been killed. He accused the White boys of being "in on that crime" - which they denied, and told him that some of "the James boys" had hidden the items in the Brock's "loft".
So - if we find an area in census or tax records were White, Brock, and James families are close to each other, we might have a clue - would need Census map of districts to identify coordinates - and consider that the "river" may be a county boundary line.
Also, must find time to go to Library and look at the film for Claiborne Co., 1850.
jj

This thread: