QUINN-L Archives

Archiver > QUINN > 2007-07 > 1183660686

From: "Bob Quinn" <>
Subject: Re: [QUINN] Quinns from Newry.
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 11:44:22 -0700

We learn something new every day.

My Quinns, whom I have been able to track only to 1821 in PA are spelled
with the double n and there is not a Catholic amongst them. New areas have
been opened for exploration. Thank you.

Bob Quinn

> A fair observation. Though there was a convention by which Catholic
Quinns retained the Gaelic double "n" and the Protestants dropped one "n" as
a means to distinguish themselves and avoid prejudices of strangers, with
limited literacy and clueless immigration officials, this is not a reliable
code. Malignant bigots began with the assumption that Quinn was an IRC name
and worked from there. Bigots, then and now, seem to be more discriminating
than discerning.

County Down to New Brunswick in 1830. They and all their Quinn relatives
were Wesleyan Methodists, both in Newry and New Brunswick..

This thread: