QUINN-L Archives

Archiver > QUINN > 2007-07 > 1183658272

From: "Lloyd Quinn" <>
Subject: Re: [QUINN] Quinns from Newry.
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 12:58:09 -0500

Dear Margaret,

A fair observation. Though there was a convention by which Catholic Quinns retained the Gaelic double "n" and the Protestants dropped one "n" as a means to distinguish themselves and avoid prejudices of strangers, with limited literacy and clueless immigration officials, this is not a reliable code. Malignant bigots began with the assumption that Quinn was an IRC name and worked from there. Bigots, then and now, seem to be more discriminating than discerning.

Lloyd