QUEBEC-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC > 2003-02 > 1046052229

From: "Francis T. Watters" <>
Subject: Re: [QUEBEC] Translation: vers le milieu
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 21:06:52 -0500

Hi Susan;

In those days, some people, perhaps because they had attained a certain
importance in the parish, were buried beneath the church, perhaps in
the crypt or some other place.

So, in the citation that you sent, it's obvious that since the old
church was going to be demolished (probably becasue it was too small)
the body had to be moved and re-interred in the new church (dans le
milieu) - in the middle. It's surprising that the notice wasn't more
precise, like "sous le jubé" or "sous la nef", or something else like
that.

This is not a case of the body being transferred from the cemetery.

Frank