QUEBEC-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC > 2002-11 > 1037934686

From: "John H.Merz" <>
Subject: Re: [QUEBEC] The Province of Quebec
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:18:43 -0500

Hello Suzanne,

it is quite true that the Americans didn't get for quite a while
what was agreed upon in the Treaty of Paris in 1783, and that was the
northshore of the Detroit River and the islands in front of it,
like Hog Island and Grand Ile, because of the stubbornness of
the Canadian Governor Lord Dorchester, before he was made a Lord
known as Sir Guy Carleton.

Long before the American revolution there was a strong French
settlement all around the Detroit-Windsor area, actually Detroit was
founded in 1701 by the French Fur Trader
Antoine de Lamothe Cadillac and named Fort Pontchartrain du Detroit.
It was captured in 1760 by the British during the Seven-Years war.

After the revolution there was much unrest in the area, the local
Indian tribes who had stuck with the British during all that time,
were betrayed and didn't like the idea of surrendering to the
Americans at all. I think there was even a battle with the Americans
in the early 1790s. But the southshore (Windsor etc.) was already
a part of the 'Old province of Quebec', and became part of Upper
Canada in 1791.

But why am I telling you this, page 99 of my book "The Hessians
of Upper Canada", under the subtitle "Hesse or the Western District"
tells the whole story.

I sincerely hope that our subscribers of this list don't mind a bit
of history of old Quebec, the place where Canadian history started
with the arrival of Monsieur Champlain.

Greetings,
John Merz -
history is what keeps me going :)