QUEBEC-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC > 2002-09 > 1032453133

Subject: Re: [QUEBEC] Re: Marriage Banns
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:32:13 EDT

In a message dated 9/17/2002 12:52:16 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> If I remember correctly, the church would publish banns in the church. If
> no one said anything against the couple to be married, they could get
> married. I believe it was done three times.

That was it--probably a requirement of canon law. The pastor would announce
and/or otherwise publicize the intended marriage of X & Y on three successive
Sundays, so that anyone who knew why X & Y should not be married could speak
up. They were still doing this in our parish Chicago when I was growing up
in the 40s.

Kinda medieval, non?

This thread: