QUEBEC-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC > 2002-07 > 1025951121

From: "J. Lesperance" <>
Subject: Re: [QUEBEC] Rocheleau
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 23:25:21 -1100

Per Jette there were two ROCHEREAU brothers, Michel and Vivien, from Lagord,
city of La Rochelle, France who emigrated to Quebec in the 1650's. Jette
says that Michel was a forgeron (blacksmith) but he gave no occupation for
Vivien.
Even in early Quebec ROCHEREAU and ROCHELEAU were interchangeable. I've seen
worse Anglicizations than ROCHELLE for ROCHELEAU so, Yes!, to your query.
The Anglicizations were more often due to an Anglo census-taker or clerk who
couldn't speak French, writing down what he heard from a Franco who either
couldn't read/write/speak English or was possibly illiterate in his own
language.
Jerry Lesperance, Aiea, Hawaii