QUEBEC-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC > 2002-02 > 1014606596

From: "Francis T. Watters" <>
Subject: Re: [QUEBEC] SCOTT / McLAREN Argenteuil area1820's+
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 22:09:56 -0500

Hi Sally;

Since Lachute was in the Seigniory of Argenteuil, you will likely find the
names of the "censitaires" (or tenants) in the Cadastres of the Seigneur. I
found some names that I was interested in in the "Cadastres abrégés des
Seigneuries du District de Montréal, Vol. no. 1, Argenteuil, 1863". I'm not
sure if there are other earlier lists that are available, but I know that
many libraries have a microfilm of that "cadastre", which was probably
filmed by the Archives Nationales du Québec, or at least should be available
from them via the ILL. Even though the law abolishing the Seigniories was
enacted about 1857, I believe that the actual transition was made only about
1871.

As for Grenville, that was not part of any Seigniory. It was a separate
Township, and thus people could become property free holders. You would
have to access the land titles for that. Perhaps others in the list who
might be able to provide more info on that township and where to get access
to the land titles (or perhaps the land grants)

Frank