QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2012-02 > 1329340276

From: Syl <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Happy 400th Birthday Paul Chomedy de Maisonneuve
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:11:51 -0500

Hi Roger!

Don't let your cousin's experience stop you from going - in fact, most
of the time, you should mostly worry about people giving you hugs
BECAUSE you tried speaking the language! Remember, Quebecers are part
latin, and thus, a cold attitude will give them the impression that you
are hostile. On the other hand, a warm attitude will most likely result
in them treating you like a friend or family.

If you open up a little, by saying you are in the traces of your
ancestor, who knows... maybe you'll bump into a "cousin"! Stranger
things have happened.

In every foreign country (except the US) I have been kissed and hugged,
invited for a meal or a personal tour, just because I greeted the native
in their language. Oh - my backpack and attire were sure indications to
them I was a tourist, but when they saw I was really trying to
communicate with them, they were SO happy! I am sure I sounded like the
expression goes: " speaking (insert language here) like a Spanish cow"
!!! I am also sure I was putting the emphasis on the wrong syllable. But
to those people, I was trating them like people, not just tourrist info
whatever.

Allright... before people ask, I tried this with my rusty Spanish, very
rusty German, in Hungarian (I'd like to see who tried too... and compare
notes: this language is not easy!!), Greek, Roumanian, Slovakian, Dutch,
and Mandarin. It works every time - Oh - you want to know where I had
the most trouble? In Paris, and in London! Ha! Go figure...

Happy Trails!!

Sylvie