QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2011-09 > 1316713417

From: "from S-J" <>
Subject: [Q-R] Naturalization - Canadian to USA
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 13:43:37 -0400

Good morning everyone:
I have just read the helpful interesting posts this morning on US
Naturalization rules and laws.
My question is ...........
I have a grand aunt (on my Mother's side), born in Ontario in 1889, Father
born in Quebec, Mother was a Metis born in Ontario of Native ancestry
(French Delaronde connection).
She cut off all ties to her family in 1912 and moved to the US, to be the
private nurse to a retired very wealthy famous actress (stage, silent
movies, then black & white talking movies) who died in 1927. My grand aunt
was her sole beneficiary of an immense estate.
My grand aunt applied (Declaration of Intent) for USA Naturalization 3 years
later in 1930 but didn't receive her Naturalization until 1954.
On all of her border crossing records, census records, etc etc she always
declared herself as "white" and never mentioned her Metis heritage.
There are a lot of 'mysteries' in this woman's life yet to be researched and
discovered but this is one of them.
I am applying for her Naturalization papers but haven't received them yet.
In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas as to why the 24 year gap from
1930 to 1954 ?
Shirley-Jean

This thread: