QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2011-09 > 1316712566

From: Mona Andrée Rainville <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Off Topic - Legal Age
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 13:29:26 -0400

Hi Clyde,

This quiestion crops up every year.

Here is part of the answer I gave in 2006:

« In 1795, the civil age of majority was lowered to 21 by the Governor
in Counsel, but the church did not follow suit.

It was not until Pope John XXIII and his Council, sometimes in the 1960s
that the matrimonial age of consent was officially lowered to 21.

So there it is. It was possibly to have reached the age of civil
majority and still be considered a minor by the parish priest.»

And this still holds true. ;-)

Cheers,

Mona

wrote:
> I realize that my question has been answered before but I can not put my
> hand on the answer. In the 1840's, what was considered "of age" to marry
> for a male and female. Thanks, clyde

This thread: