QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2011-03 > 1299015467

From: Suzanne Sommerville <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Need a translation please Sagala
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 13:37:47 -0800 (PST)

If you are relying on the identification of a guardian to arrive at your conclusion, step back for a minute. Minors were routinely assigned a guardian / tuteur at the death of one parent and at the death of a surviving parent. In this case, both parents are said to be deceased.

Note the language:
Genevieve Sagala dit Sanschagrin,
> domiciled in the parish of Ste Anne, minor daughter of the late Pierre
> Sagala dit Sanschagrin, farmer while alive, and the late Marguerite Poirier,
> her father and mother, of the parish of St Michel de Vaudreuil,

A guardian was not an adoptive parent; he or she saw to the legal interests of the minor child.

Suzanne

Message: 7