QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2009-11 > 1257260151

From: Mona Andrée Rainville <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] INSEE codes and standardized locations was Which"dit noms" for LACOUTURE?
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 09:55:51 -0500

Dear Angela,

The acronym INSEE stands for Institut national de la statistique et des
études économique. This is in France only, and INSEE identification
numbers are therefore only unsed in France.

Surprisingly enough, yes, they have a website in English is you want to
know more about it: http://www.insee.fr/en/default.asp

I see nothing wrong with the method you are presently using. Adding the
INSEE number to the name of the town, for French locations, simply adds
a level of certainty - providing you have the right location to begin with.

There are many methods for identifying a location, and all of them have
their pro and cons.

I use a double identification system which gives me the location as it
was known at the time of the document or event I am recording, and the
current name of this location. This, I find, facilitates my research.
But there are many many other methods out there.

The main objective, of course, is to be able to correctly identify the
location.

Cheers,

Mona