QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2008-11 > 1227987373

Subject: Re: [Q-R] Ettiene Lessard
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 14:36:13 EST

Apologies if this is a duplicate. I sent it this morning but haven't seen it
so suspect I forgot to format as plain text and it was bumped.

Hi Charlie,

Jette and the DCB agree:

"On 8 March 1658, according to a deed of gift, “because of the desire and
the pious wish that the settlers of Beaupré have long had for a church or
chapel in which they can share in divine service and participate in the sacraments
of our Holy Mother Church, [he] gives to the parish priests who will be
appointed a piece of land with a frontage of two arpents and a depth of one and a
half leagues. The said gift is made on condition that in the present year
1658 the settlers . . . will begin without delay and will continue the building
of a church or chapel on the said land.” This church, the site of which was
blessed on 13 March 1658 by Abbé Guillaume Vignal* in the presence of the
acting governor Louis d’Ailleboust*, was serving as a parish church in 1660. But
in 1661 the damage wrought by high tides forced Bishop Laval to build a
second church, in half-timbered field-stone, on new ground farther from the
shore, to the east, at the foot of the great slope; this ground was also given by
Étienne de Lessard. On the same ground, in 1676, Bishop Laval was to build a
third church, of stone. Étienne de Lizard’s house served as a boarding-house
for pilgrims." DCB v. 2, p. 426

In a message dated 11/29/2008 11:50:22 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
I have in my notes that Etienne Lessard donated the land to build the Church
at Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupre. I think I got this from LaForest's volume 1.

Question: Can anyone confirm that from Laforest's volume 1?

Thanks for the help,
Charlie King

In a message dated 11/29/2008 11:50:22 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
I have in my notes that Etienne Lessard donated the land to build the Church
at Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupre. I think I got this from LaForest's volume 1.

Question: Can anyone confirm that from Laforest's volume 1?

Thanks for the help,
Charlie King

AOL.com.