QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2008-11 > 1227248770

From: "Elizabeth Abbott" <>
Subject: [Q-R] Anonyme
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 22:26:10 -0800

Further to Mona's explanation about "Ondoyé" and "Anonyme", could I please ask for the meaning of the baptism record (shown below) from St. Michel Cathedral in Sherbrooke. Does it mean the infant child died before the age of 17 weeks and was buried without being baptized? Wouldn't he have been given a name by that age? I assume it was a boy because of the single e at the end of né and decedé.

My best stab at the handwriting is -

"Le seize Fevrier mil huit-cent quarante quatre a été inhumé dans le cemetiere Catholique de cette ville le corps d'enfant anonyme décédé l'avant veille age de dix sept (?) semaines né du legitime marriage de Marc Beaulieu and de Maria Willard de Sherbrooke furent present à l'inhumation (?) et Marc Beaulieu qui n'ont pu signer...."

Many thanks,

Elizabeth

This thread: