QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2008-03 > 1204555686

Subject: [Q-R] New Genealogy Magazine Geared Toward Beginners
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 09:48:06 EST

New Genealogy Magazine Geared Toward Beginners
The producers of Family Chronicle and Internet Genealogy magazines have a
new project on their plates. Discovering Family History, a new magazine
targeted specifically to beginners, will start publishing soon. Halvor Moorshead,
the publisher and editor of all three magazines, says that the seed of the idea
for Discovering Family History was sown while exhibiting their other
genealogy magazines at an event in Toronto last September, called “The Word on the
Street.” Some 200,000 people attended this event, put on for those interested
in books and literacy.
“We sold plenty of subscriptions to both magazines,” said Moorshead, “but I
found that I was continually explaining to new subscribers some real
genealogy basics — steering them to Cyndi’s List and other places that listed
beginner’s courses. These people were smart enough; they just needed something more
basic than what we were selling. It was sobering to realize that there might
be a big market for a genealogy magazine that dealt with the basics."
If you want a sneak peek of the new magazine, a full 56-page preview issue
can be downloaded at _www.discoveringfamilyhistory.com_
(http://www.discoveringfamilyhistory.com/) .

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

This thread: