QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2007-12 > 1198250109

From: Mona Rainville <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] DNA testing and question regarding belief not an exactscience
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:15:09 -0500

Hello Peggy and all,

Like I said Peggy, it's your money. Caveat emptor.

But I stand on what I wrote. Spence WELLS was interviewed on the show
Marketplace and segments of the show can be viewed on-line by all.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/whos_your_grand_daddy/

He is but one of the many world-renown experts who question the manner
in which this product is being presented to consumers.

“My concern is that the marketing is coming before the science,” said
Troy Duster, a professor of sociology at New York University who was an
adviser on the Human Genome Project and an author of the Science editorial.

“People are making life-changing decisions based on these tests and may
not be aware of the limitations,” he added. “While I don’t think any of
the companies are deliberately misleading customers, they may have a
financial incentive to tell people what they want to hear.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/business/25dna.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1

"Other scientists have raised issues with the way companies analyze and
present results. Of particular concern is the use of statistical methods
to determine ancestry when there are multiple matches to different
ethnic groups. Companies don’t always make it clear that the results are
estimates, not definitive matches.

It’s not that the tests are wrong, scientists say. Most companies use
the same methods and, in some cases, the same labs to extract DNA from
samples. But even the largest databases have only a few thousand records
in them, and some areas and populations are sampled more than others.
Most companies get data from information published in publicly available
research papers; few collect samples themselves. Scientists emphasize
that much of this data was gathered for other purposes and was never
intended to be used for personal genealogical testing."

You might also want to read what Henry Louis GATES, an early protagonist
of DNA testing has to say about this industry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/business/25dna.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Genetic testing is a big money machine. And when it comes to this latest
genealogical bonanza, it is a huge and largely unregulated money
machine. While you might be satisfied with the result you got. There is
absolutely no guarantee that those results are valid.

Cheers!

Mona

Bill & Peggy Youngs wrote:
> Hi Listers
>
> I feel I must throw my two cents in on this DNA testing discussion.
>
> While I am in no way an expert on the subject, I do know that DNA testing is
> not
> the smoke and mirrors that some would have you believe.

(...)
> At no time does Dr. Wells say that genetic genealogy is a pseudo-science
> meant to do nothing
> more than fleece people out of their hard-earned cash. Read for yourself
> what Dr. Wells and
> other genetic genealogist write and develop your own opinions on the
> subject.
>
> https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/about.html
> http://www.frenchdna.org/
> http://www.genetealogy.com/
>
> Joyeux Noël à tous/Merry Christmas to all!
>
> Peggy Youngs

This thread: