QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2007-08 > 1188590382

From: "Bernadette Meunier" <>
Subject: [Q-R] Fwd: Off-Topic - Familytree 2008 Question
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 15:59:42 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bernadette Meunier <>
Date: Aug 31, 2007 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Off-Topic - Familytree 2008 Question
To: Sylvie Brucher <>

....I am a long time user and lover of PAF. Has a short learning
curve and I too agree that all the needed functions are there without
any unnecessary and superfluous functions. I assist other folks with
their genealogy efforts so I have many different genealogy programs
loaded on my computers. I recently purchased the new Family Tree
Maker and I must tell you that I am very disappointed with it. Loaded
with functions that are really not enhancements over the previous
versions and not at all useful. In fact, some of the functions
included in previous versions have been eliminated altogether.
Additionally, screens and user interface, very confusing. As for
generating reports, it would appear that you must first upload your
data at ancestry.com and publish books/reports from their web site.
And, this is available only if you subscribe, of course, for a fee.
In other words, give them your data, gratis, which they will then
charge you and others for access to it. I did not spend too much time
investigating it further, so if I am wrong about the above observation
and someone out there can enlighten us all, please do so. It would be
very much appreciated

BDM - Concord, NH