Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2007-07 > 1185300679

Subject: Re: [Q-R] question about affinity & dispensation
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:11:19 -0400

Dear Cousin Lisa,

The impediment of consanguinity is caused by a blood relationship between both parties to a proposed marriage themselves.? There is another impediment, affinity, that is caused by a blood relationship between one party to a proposed marriage and the previous spouse of the other party.??? The former is a relationship based on ancestry by blood; the latter is a relationship not in blood but in law, which is why we refer to these relatives as "in laws".??

Fr John L