QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2007-05 > 1178969810

Subject: Re: [Q-R] FW: CORRECT SPELLING OF GABRIEL BEAULNE AND HER PARENTS
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 07:36:50 -0400

MAS

Please try to at least keep a record of the different variations of both first & family names. I personally use the surfix field. Some use AKA or other name. Someone may go looking for documents & the names that will be there will help. If they were listed as (John) Baptist & not Jean-Baptiste it helps.

When I have a name shift, I usually use the "main" one for the individual but reference the other even if I din't have a document.

By a correctionist, I was told my work was "wrong" because of retaining the veriations of the names.

I choose to use the name at birth or earliest record by a French speaker. Some use the name at marriage or death. What do others use?

The veriation of the names give us a hint as to timeframe, location & branch. Using the Boudrot family for an example.

Boudrot generic or early(?) records
Boudreault - Quebec & westward - Hi Paulette in Alberta
Boudreau - NS/NB & Along Mississippi River in Louisiana
Boudreaux - Southwest LA, Texas & some along Mississippi river. (Boudreaux-Thibodaux jokes)
What is most often used in Quebec?

The family has over 250 different spellings that have been used one time or another.

The Achee Obit I did the name progression on a few days ago tied this person to a branch others may have.

Paul Le Blanc

Leblanc
LeBlanc
LeBland
LeBlant
even sometimes (Le)Blanche

Since I figure no one but me will really understand my records, or care much
about them, in fact! I spell all the family's names the same way.... to
keep the lines straight in my files. I cannot be sure I have all the uncles
and cousins, if I spell them all in a different form. If one branch really
is large and seems to have "taken off" on a different name route, I will use
that same route for that entire branch.......which keeps THEM separate...but
identifiable as the same family.

The truth is, most of our ancestors could not read or write.... so it's
anybody's guess how they "spelled" their names!

mas