QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2007-05 > 1178934640

From: "Gary Boivin" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] CORRECT SPELLING OF GABRIEL BEAULNE AND HER PARENTS
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 19:50:40 -0600

There is no such thing as "correct spelling" when it comes
to our ancestors --- whether they be English or French.
Names were spelled to conform to the grammar rules that
the recorder knew.

You can make "assumptions" as to what you think it might
be but your ancestors just might call you the first 3 letters of
"assumption" when you finally meet in the afterlife because
they don't like what you've done to their names. < VBG >.

So don't be too hung up on the term "correct spelling".

Josephte and Josette are homonyms.
They are pronounced exactly the same way.
And in the 1820's the spelling could change with every writing.
Just like BEAULNE = BAULNE = BONE

Blue Drouin ( Hommes ) has...
Gabriel BAULNE=LAFRANCHISE
son of Antoine BAULNE=LAFRANCHISE
and Madeleine Marie LAROCQUEBRUNE
m. Aug 08 1820 St-Joachim, Pointe-Claire, Montreal, QC
Josephte Marie PROULX
daughter of Toussaint PROULX
and Hypolite SERAT

As an adult, I haven't found that Gabriel used LAFRANCHISE
but his brother Antoine did.