QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2007-05 > 1178670820

From: "Libby Quanstrom" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] [Fwd: Fw: Giroux-Deschamps/Hunault = follow up]
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 20:33:40 -0400

It's my understanding, but this could be myth, that some foundlings/orphans
were baptized with no patrynom but only had sponsors/godparents. As these
approached emancipation they were sometimes appointed guardians/tuteurs to
act on their behalf. This was done so that they could enter into contracts
and marriage as minors. These children sometimes took the name of their
guardian. Some knew from whom they came and knew of their circumstance and
began to use this patrynom albeit, assumed. If a guardian was appointed,
there should be letters and adjudications filed in the civil records

Per chance our legal beagles (those with shingles and those with collars
o) ) can fill us in to the verite of the times???

Merci,

Libby

This thread: