QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2006-10 > 1159755204

From: Mona Rainville <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Translation Assistance Please - GELINEAU
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 22:13:24 -0400

Curiosity being what it is...

I just had to find out more about this Amable Marguerite Marie GELINEAU
who died so mysteriously.

She was 19 years old when she died. Five months earlier she had married
Antoine BOUTEILLER. She didn't die alone, but it wasn't her husband she
died with...

The parish registers of Chambly show that a second woman, Angélique
BOUTEILLER, about 40 years old, wife of Joseph LETOURNEAU was brought to
the parish priest to be buried, that same day in July of 1754. The
circumstances of her death were registered by the priest as follows:
"(she) was found in the woods between Chambly and Longueuil, burnt and
only recognizable by her clothing, her body which was brought to me, or
rather her bones, rest in the cemetery of this parish where they have
been buried. Signed CARPENTIER, priest."

There is more details here: http://www.marigot.ca/html/jodoin.htm

Angélique BOUTEILLER was Amable Marguerite Marie GELINEAU's her
sister-in-law.

Sooo....The way this looks to me, Amable and Angélique were coming down
Chambly Road, between the GELINEAU (GELINOS) and the BOUTEILLER farms,
when they were hit by lightning. But, of course, that's just my little
smoky theory...

'Nite,

Mona

Andy Scott wrote:
>>> From the PRDH footnote for the burial record of Amable Marguerite-Marie
>>> Gelineau (No. 314394). She died 22 Jul 1754 and was buried 23 Jul 1754.
>>>
>>> "LAQUELLE A ETE TROUVEE A LA GROSSE ROCHE DANS LE CHEMIN DE CHAMBLY ETOUFFEE ET LE CORPS A MOITIE BRULE PAR LE FEU"

This thread: