QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2006-02 > 1139245548

From: <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Three Rivers - Montreal
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 10:05:48 -0700

To all in response to the Following Emails:
I haven't replied to any of these post, mainly because I did not join
this list to discuss these kind of issues. I joined to try and find/locate
information on my ancestors. Like most people who join this list, we are ALL
descendants of the people who lived, worked, loved and cared for Canada.
I live in El Paso, Texas. It was referred to in Fr. Taggart's email and
because of that reason I think I will respond this time. I do not think
anyone is trying to "put down", "change", " not regard" names of places, or
when we, in the United States, ask a question pertaining to a name being
changed or "Americanized" are we inferring any disrespect. I think those who
speak French would understand not speaking Dutch, Russian, Cuban, Swahili,
or any other language, that we who do not speak French are trying to
understand what the name may be in our own Language so we can try to do
research in our own language. I do not now, nor have I in the past,
understood why people who live in Canada, become so defensive and so
irritated by us, who live in the United States and speaking English, when
we ask those kind of questions. If you were related to someone who spoke
Swahili you would want to understand how the name may be pronounced in your
language. That is the extent of why we ask the question. It isn't because we
are trying to change anything. If the name means Three River's in our
language it is easier for us when we communicate among ourselves and other's
if we use the terms we know. No, San Antonio isn't Saint Anthony's, but I
don't think anyone would be upset here if you wanted for your own reference
to call it that. I think all this stuff about us trying to change Canada and
it's names of people or places is in left field and I don't appreciate being
treated as if we are "stupid", "inconsiderate, uncaring, or any other term
any one of you may want to use. We are simply trying to find people we come
from, and like MOST genealogist's we are searching because we do care. I
know I will get a lot of "flack" for loss of a better term, from other's who
believe they are so much more intelligent than I am, and I will tell you up
front. I will not respond to any of it. I am tired of being quiet and just
sitting back while the American's who are on this list are treated that way.
If Gary wants to unsub me, fine. I have always told everyone how much I have
appreciated all their help and I have appreciated it. But, as you so
"bluntly" point out how we are disregarding your Country I am pointing out
how you are disregarding us and ours. Thank You, Sincerely, Lone Star Pam