QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2005-06 > 1118275917

Subject: Re: [Q-R] Longue Point, Laval - hospital?
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:11:57 EDT

In a message dated 6/8/2005 7:10:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I think I have located a family member who was listed as an interne in
Longue
Point, Laval, Quebec in the 1901 census. I could not locate the name of the
institution. Other people were described in the census as pensionnaire,
privee, hospitaliere and garde. Quite a few nuns were listed so it must
have been
a Catholic institution. Does anyone know what kind of institution it was
and
also what the French words mean. Thank you so much for any help you can
give
me.

Kathleen

The French words:
hospitaliere = hospital attendant (female)
pensionnaire = inmate
garde = nurse
interne = medical student

I suspect the institution was a hospital, probably a residence for aged and
infirm patients, some of them private patients, others on welfare assistance.

Fr. Owen Taggart

This thread: