QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2005-04 > 1112951040

From: "Sharyn Hay" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] 20th Century Plague
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 02:04:00 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Susan Schon" <>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 7:31 AM

> When did you polio pioneers take the vaccine? I was born in 1948. I don't
> know how old I was when I got the vaccine, but we took it in liquid form in
> a sugar cube in Bristol, Connecticut. I don't remember any shots. I do
> remember that parents were afraid to let their kids go swimming in public
> places.
>
> Sue

It was April 1954. A website says: "Across the United States, 1.8 million
"Polio Pioneers" in grades one, two and three in 44 states took part in the
trial over the course of a year. The following year, the Salk vaccine was
declared "safe, potent and effective." http://health.yahoo.com/news/34664
It also verifies that it was an injection, as remembered by a doctor who
gave it. Another site says "The Salk vaccine was the first type of polio vaccine
to become available. It was made by cultivating three strains of the virus separately
in monkey tissue. The virus was separated from the tissue, stored for a week,
and killed with formaldehyde. This killed-virus vaccine was given by injection and
required 4 "shots."
http://www.freemedicineprogram.com/healthcare/Polio+vaccine%2C+Salk

Sharyn

This thread: