QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2005-04 > 1112938722

From: "Lisa Lepore" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] 20th Century Plague
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 01:38:42 -0400

I was born in 1955 and remember going to the National Guard
Armory for the polio vaccine. Sugar cubes in little white cups....
I don't remember when it was, and I can't remember if my brother
was there. The thing is that I also remember getting a shot at a
this armory, but I don't remember if it was the same time or not.

Was it possible that I could have had both?

There was a big polio outbreak in RI in 1960 - our neighbor, my
friend's sister, was about 2 years older than me, and contracted a
mild case. She had to wear a removable full length cast on one of
her legs.

She used to sit on a chaise lounge in their front yard under a big
tree, and read most of the day. One day, the boy across the street
was playing in the family car and took off the emergency brake.
The car rolled down the driveway, and hit the tree. Just missed
hitting
this poor girl by inches. She must have been terrified, being unable
move due to the cast.

Must have scared me too since I remember it like yesterday LOL

Lisa