QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2005-04 > 1112891165

From: "NetBoie" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] 20th Century Plague
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 12:26:05 -0400

I was born in 1944. I remember each summer when the polio season began I, like the other kids in the neighborhood, was not allowed to go out and play with other children. One year the boy across the street got sick but his father would not let his wife take him to the doctor, said it was just a cold and there was no need to spend good money on a doctor. When the kid continued to get worse the father relented and the doctor was called. It was polio. The boy was lucky and did make a full recovery but it took a long time. I remember eventually getting the Salk Vaccine at school in the mid-50's.

Dave Constantine in Boston

This thread: