QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2004-10 > 1098121939

Subject: Interesting
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:52:19 EDT

Crazy Horse Kin Want Strip Club Renamed

Oct 16, 2004
PARIS (AP) Descendants of the native American warrior Crazy Horse want a
change in the famed Paris strip club named after him. Alfred Red Cloud, a member
of the Oglala Sioux tribe, delivered a letter Saturday to the operators of
the Crazy Horse saloon asking them to change the club's name.

"The name is a sacred name to our people. Nobody uses that name back home —
even our own people," Red Cloud told reporters outside the posh club, located
near the Champs-Elysees.

"I'm not trying to close the establishment down, I just want the name
changed," he said.

The Crazy Horse Paris was established in 1951 and is well-known for adult
entertainment. The Oglala Sioux warrior fought against the U.S. military in the
1800s.

The letter was from Harvey White Woman, a descendant of Crazy Horse and an
executor of his estate. "I want the young people of my tribe to remember him
as a strong leader and warrior and not some nightclub in Paris," the letter
said.

The letter did not threaten legal action, but Red Cloud said that relatives
of the warrior were prepared to do "whatever it takes" to get the name
change. "Maybe with other chiefs, maybe attorneys."

Jacques Asplanato, a club manager, received the letter but did not read it.
He said he was just an "intermediary" and would pass on the letter to the
club's operators.

Red Cloud expressed concern that the club may be demeaning to women.

"As I went into the place, the way it is set up, it exposes women," he said.
"Women are sacred to us, they are the keepers of our generations to come."

This thread: