QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2004-09 > 1096071493

Subject: Excerpt Of History
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 20:18:14 EDT

April 4, 1841 Washington D.C.
"William H.Harrison, 68, ninth US president, died after 31 days in office. He
was buried in Pioneer Cemetery in North Bend, Ohio. Harrison was the first US
president to die in office. He had refused to wear an overcoat or a hat for
his inaugural address in a frigid drizzle and caught cold. The address was over
9,000 words long, the longest ever given (Washington's was 135 words).
Despite his cold, Harrison attended three inaugural balls, where he danced and drank
convivially. The cold developed into pneumonia. His doctors applied mustard
plasters, bled him, and purged him. He had long suffered from ulcers, and the
treatment caused him intense pain. Just before he died, he addressed an unseen
visitor, " Sir, I wish you to understand the true principles of
government. I wish them carried out. I ask nothing more."

This thread: