QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2004-07 > 1090155643

From: "Susan Schon" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Young child as Parrain?
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 09:00:43 -0400

From: <>
> > There is, indeed, a requirement of church law that a baptismal sponsor
should be of an age to understand and accept the responsibilities attendant
upon sponsorship, that is, to assist the parents of the child in fulfilling
their role in educating the child in the knowledge and practice of the
faith. That being the case, it is probable that the godparents of Marie
Lebrun are Jean Tanguay dit LaNavette, who was 33 years of age, and
Françoise Beaudoin, who was 21 years of age. Why 3½ year old Jean Tanguay
fils is included in the record is unusual on two counts: He is certainly
not of age to be the sponsor, and it is unusual for the record to include
the names of minor children of any age.< <

Thank you Father. I thought 3½ was too young, too, but thought maybe
exceptions were made on occasion. I think I have the right Tanguays because
Marie-Anne Lebrun's aunt, Marie-Marguerite Brochu was married to a Jean
Tanguay. The PRDH record indicates that Jean the father wasn't present at
the baptism, though. If that's true, then the son was the Godfather. Very
strange. Maybe the church record will explain the situation further.

The PRDH record also indicates that Godmother Françoise Baudouin was
unmarried when in fact she was married two years earlier to Pierre Blais.

Your opinion is appreciated as always.
Sue

--

This thread: