QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2004-04 > 1082093044

From: "Mary Anne Smith" <>
Subject: RE: [Q-R] PRDH Problem
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 01:24:13 -0400

Hi, Margaret,

I am a couple days behind in my messages, and was just reading your reply to
this ongoing discussion.

My two cents are: my grandmother used to say that you didn't begin to live
until the day you were baptized. So, I think that is some of the thinking
behind the recording on Baptismal dates as the birth dates.

Also, we are relying on Baptismal records as birth dates in many cases
possibly because they were the only dates that were recorded. For the most
part, the ordinary people did not know how to read or write. I bet they
didn't have calendars on their walls, either. The priest who baptised their
babies DID have a date and could write...or someone there could. So, that
was probably the only date that was recorded as the babies' birthdates.

Same thing with burial being confused with death dates. The people who died
may not have recorded them, nor had the calendars, or been able to read
them.. But the priests who buried them, DID.....and recorded the dates of
burial, which most of the people accepted as being the official dates of the
death.

Mary Anne Smith