QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2004-03 > 1080148024

From: "Discussion" <>
Subject: RE: [Q-R] am I correct?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:07:04 -0500

Hi,

If I may add my comments...I was told many times, this expression is coming
effectively from the ¨voyageur¨ who was travelling using canoes. So if they
were paddling upstream they were going ¨up to¨ or ¨ monter en haut¨ and if
they were paddling with the downstream current they were going ¨ down to¨ ¨
descendre à¨.

So one would say ¨ descendre à Québec¨ (from Montreal) and ¨monter à
Montréal¨ from Quebec city.

FWIW

AU revoir

Florent Coache