QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2004-03 > 1079241886

Subject: Re: [Q-R] Fr. Owen Taggart --marriage dispensations
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 00:24:49 EST

In a message dated 3/13/04 11:36:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if a marriage rehablitation is the same as a marriage
> dispensation. I have an ancestor who has a marriage rehabilitation (he was
> baptised into the Catholic faith the same day he was married). I do not quite
> understand rehabilitation.
>
> Diane in Ohio

No, Diane, they are not the same. A dispensation is a permission obtained
from the diocese to do something which would render the marriage invalid if the
dispensation were not obtained. For instance, a dispensation is necessary for
marriage between a Catholic and a non-Catholic. A rehabilitation, also
called validation, is a marriage solemnized in the presence of a priest and at
least two witnesses according to proper canonical form. Its purpose is to validate
or rehabilitate a marriage attempted without proper form. For instance, if
two parties, at least one of whom is Catholic, marry in the presence of a civil
official or a non-Catholic minister without the proper dispensation, the
marriage is invalid, and needs to be validated or rehabilitated by a new exchange
of consent before a priest and two ministers.

Fr. Owen Taggart

This thread: