QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L ArchivesArchiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2003-12 > 1070762665
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Moscow, Canada East abt 1830
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 21:04:27 EST
In a message dated 12/6/03 07:18:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> Of course the writer of the original query should try the other suggestions
> but I do believe
> that the above holds the answer to the original query.
That is the version of the story supported by the Commission on Toponymy
(place names) of the Province of Quebec.
La nouvelle ville de Saint-Hyacinthe a été créée le 27 décembre 2001. Elle
est issue du regroupement des municipalités des paroisses de
Notre-Dame-de-Saint-Hyacinthe, de Sainte-Rosalie, de Saint-Hyacinthe-le-Confesseur et de
Saint-Thomas-d'Aquin ainsi que des villes de Saint-Hyacinthe et de Sainte-Rosalie.
The new city of Saint-Hyacinthe was established on 27 December 2001. It was
formed from the regrouping of the municipalities of the parishes of
Notre-Dame-de-Saint-Hyacinthe, Sainte-Rosalie, Saint-Hyacinthe-le-Confesseur and
St-Thomas-d'Aquin as well as the cities of Saint-Hyacinthe and Sainte-Rosalie.
The following text was composed to describe the old city of Saint-Hyacinthe.
Located in the heart of the Maskoutains MRC in Montregie, the city of
Saint-Hyacinthe occupies a piece of land shaped like a boot, its leg inserted between
Saint-Marie-Madeleine, in the west, and Notre-Dame-de-Saint-Hyacinthe, in the
east, 30 km north of Granby and 64 km east of Montreal. The Yamaska river,
which flows through the city center, formerly marked the border between
Grand-Maska (down river) and Petit-Maska (up river), site of the future city of
Saint-Hyacinthe. The history of Maska begins with a concession of land to
Francois-Pierre Rigaud de Vaudreuil, in 1748, of the Seignory of Maska or Masca, a word
derived from the Algonkin iamaskaw, which means "place of the reeds". In
1753, the Seignory became the property of Jacques-Hyacinthe-Simon Delorme dit
Lapointe, who gave the place its new name. Delorme was the engineer of the
platforms and caissons of the Royal Artillery. Populated since 1757, the region
would include the parish of Saint-Hyacinthe (le Confesseur) established in 1853,
although the first church was erected in 1780. Later stagesof the evolution
of the place include the foundation of the municipality of Saint-Hyacinthe
established as a village in 1849, and as a city the following year; the
foundation of the village-municipalities of Saint-Joseph in 1898, and of Douville in
1947, which became cities in 1968 and 1967, respectively, as well as La
Providence (village 1899, city 1969). All of these cities were merged in 1976 to form
the present city of Saint-Hyacinthe.
Fr. Owen Taggart