QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2003-10 > 1067456749

Subject: Re: Fw: [Q-R] translation help again please
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:45:49 EST

In a message dated 10/29/03 01:54:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

> Ahleese,
> I understand in Quebec the french that is spoken is called " Normandy
> french"  which, apparently was the french spoken in France when the settlers
> made their journey to New France. Quebec has retained that french and France
> has modernized hers (please note, I have no official source for this, just
> what I was told when I was a wee p'tite fille). The french from France is
> very different than the one I speak. "les francais" have a hard time
> understanding "les Quebequois" because the dialect is so different although
> I personnaly do not have a hard time understanding "le francais de France".
> I have met a  lot of Acadians and have no difficulty understanding them
> either, I don't find their french to be to different than some areas in
> Quebec.

If you were to visit Normandie, Picardie, or Perche, you would find that
people in those regions speak with accents very close to the Quebecois accents.
These were the regions that accounted for a goodly number of early habitants,
and formed the Quebec accent.   But, in my travels, I have found there are
regional differences in regional accent between, let's say, Montreal and Beauce.
The point about vocabulary is well taken. Quebec vocabulary tends to be more
"conservative" than French vocabulary, that is, there are some words which are
current in Quebec that would be considered somewhat "obsolete" in France.
But that distinction too, is found from one region to another both in France and
in Quebec.   For instance, how is the English word "doll" translated?  If you
say "poupée", you are using a more modern word, than if you say, "catin".
Both words are used in Quebec; only poupée is used in France.

Fr. Owen Taggart

This thread: